I haven’t talked about the jacket I am sewing for a while now so I guess this is a good time. I started making this parka from the latest Ottobre Woman magazine a few weeks ago. I bought the shell fabric in my local fabric store but ordered the lining and notions online. They took forever to arrive. I guess that my order was somehow forgotten because as soon as I managed to contact them (this was not easy) 16 days after I made my order they sent it right away. I was really unhappy with their service but at least I got my stuff in the end.
When I had only the shell fabric I did everything I could, that is I sewed the pockets and prepped some smaller pieces to get it out of the way. The lining is namely treated as an interlining, meaning that a shell piece and a corresponding lining piece are treated as one when sewing. After sewing each seam you have to serge the edges and then top stitch, so there is a lot of work.
The lining is a beautiful red cotton with white polka dots. After I basted the lining pieces to the shell pieces the body of the fabric changed a lot and now it feels much more like outerwear. I thought that a shell made of twill would be somehow cheap looking and without body but it is not and I am really happy with my fabric choices.
After I got my order it took my a few days to get back on track with sewing the parka, but last weekend I finally cut out the pieces for the lining and now I have sewed everything together. What is still missing is binding the hood/jacket seam, inserting the zipper (which scares me a bit), finishing the front edges of the jacket and hood. This is done with a facing which first has to have it’s edges finished with bias-tape and the final step is hemming. Wow, when I write it down like that it is not much at all.
Maybe I’ll have it ready before the weekend 🙂
I can’t wait!!!