Waterlily

Behold! Another finished PomPom garment:IMGP4853_PEF_shotwell_modified

This is the cover pattern of this years spring issue, the beautiful and popular Waterlily top.  I decided to make mine in silk, hoping it would be wearable all through the summer. I have made a sleeveless wool top before and never wore it because the weather was never right.  Either my body was warm and my arms cold or my arms my warm and my body melting.  Also because of the wool it was hard to wear a cardi over it.  IMGP4852_PEF_shotwell_modified

So I decided to go for a more summer friendly yarn for this top.  It is Soft Silk from BC garn, very nice raw silk yarn with plenty of texture which gives the stockinette part of the top more character. I used 140 gr. for a size 1 top. IMGP4854_PEF_shotwell_modified

The pattern is very nice, easy to understand and well written.  I only have some silly complaints about the lace section.  Understandably I like lace patterns which I can remember after a few repeats but it took me the knitting of all the lace part to finally remember this one.  The lace is lovely though.  Also, I dislike decreasing while knitting lace because your accounting has to be accurate. It is tricky to find out when to yo and when to decrease because of the lace pattern and not because of the neckline shaping.  A chart of this would have been helpful but it would probably take to much space in the magazine. And again, since the lace part of the top is so short, there are only a few rows where this has to be taken into account.IMGP4859_PEF_shotwell_modified

The construction of the back neckline is quite clever and I like it, although mine came out a bit wide in the back. I think it is ok and quite suits the loos fit of the top.IMGP4856_PEF_shotwell_modified

The yarn is something I have never worked with before and the knitted garment behaves strangely. It is very lightweight and soft and stretches funnily.  Very different from wool.IMGP4860_PEF_shotwell_modified

I made a size 1 with no alterations.  But I did two things differently from the instructions.  Firstly I knitted the garter stitch border flat.  I hate garter stitching in the round because that way you have to purl every other round.  Using my way, of course you have to seam the border at the end but this is easy since because you have to weave in the end, you already have a piece of yarn to do the seaming with. The other thing I changed was that I grafted the shoulders and knitted the neckline before blocking. After blocking I wove in the ends and seamed the sleeves.IMGP4862_PEF_shotwell_modified

I am very happy with my finished top and I am excited to see how the silk yarn hold up during wash and wear.

 

3 thoughts on “Waterlily

  1. Pingback: On my Needles part 2 | Maria Wishes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s