On my Needles part 2

So, I’ve been a busy knitter these last two weeks. I finished the Waterlily a week ago and then started working intensively on the Brolly shawl. However, the rows are getting pretty long by now and every row there are two more stitches increased so it takes longer and longer to finish a row.  I am at 320 stitches now and still have a 100 to go, but that’s only 50 more rows BEFORE I can start the border…I decided to take some time away from it to work on other projects.   IMGP4880_PEF_modified

After seeing a couple of pretty Seaside Sundae blankets on Ravelry I got very excited to make my own.  When I first saw it I wasn’t very IMGP4865_PEF_modifiedinterested in it because I don’t really care for the colors they use in the magazine.  But colors are of course a matter of taste and seeing the other two blankets made me give it another look.  I decided to make this blanket for my mom since her birthday is coming up and therefore I chose green as the main color since that is her favorite.  IMGP4872_PEF_modifiedThe color combination reminds me of the ocean and I am quite happy with it.  Also, my mom is not a big fan of random (which is how I think the triangles in the pattern are arranged) so I decided to make it more orderly. Also the outermost border will be only one color.  I have decided to make it 2 rows longer so I expect it to be ca. 125 cm instead of 104 cm. So far I have completed 10 squares of the 60 that I have to make. The yarn is Drops Merino Extra Fine and luckily they it is currently on sale with 35% off.IMGP4866_PEF_modified

I had some leftover silk from my Waterlily and I have been crocheting bow ties from it.  Each tie is only a few grams so I will probably have enough for 8-10.  I still have to sew them together and add the central piece.  But I like the way they look.IMGP4882_PEF_modified

Cutting

Without a doubt my least favorite part of sewing is cutting the fabric.  I really dread this part of the process which results in many of my ideas are never executed, even though I have a pattern, the right fabric and all.  Before you start cutting you need a lot of dust free space which means clearing the kitchen table or mopping the floor and then you have to fold the fabric correctly which is hard when you have 2-3 meters of fabric. Then you have to measure everything and even mark seam allowances. When cutting you need to take care and be precise because it really affects the look and quality of the finished garment.

Therefore my newest approach to this problem is to cut a lot at once, to simply get the cutting over with and then I have plenty of fun sewing to do  So the last two evenings I have been preparing a few projects, and now I have a fun pile of ready to sew pieces.  I spent the last of my evening threading my overlocker, testing the stitches on some scrap fabric and now it is also ready to start sewing 🙂IMGP4815_PEF_shotwell_modified

Progress on the Parka

Parka-1-b

I haven’t talked about the jacket I am sewing for a while now so I guess this is a good time.  I started making this parka from the latest Ottobre Woman magazine a few weeks ago.  I bought the shell fabric in my local fabric store but ordered the lining and notions online.  They took forever to arrive.  I guess that my order was somehow forgotten because as soon as I managed to contact them (this was not easy) 16 days after I made my order they sent it right away.  I was really unhappy with their service but at least I got my stuff in the end.

 

When I had only the shell fabric I did everything I could, that is I sewed the pockets and prepped some smaller pieces to get it out of the way.  The lining is namely treated as an interlining, meaning that a shell piece and a corresponding lining piece are treated as one when sewing. After sewing each seam you have to serge the edges and then top stitch, so there is a lot of work.Photo0361_modified

The lining is a beautiful red cotton with white polka dots. After I basted the lining pieces to the shell pieces the body of the fabric changed a lot and now it feels much more like outerwear.  I thought that a shell made of twill would be somehow cheap looking  and without body but it is not and  I am really happy with my fabric choices.

After I got my order it took my a few days to get back on track with sewing the parka, but last weekend I finally cut out the pieces for the lining and now I have sewed everything together.  What is still missing is binding the hood/jacket seam, inserting the zipper (which scares me a bit), finishing the front edges of the jacket and hood. This is done with a facing which first has to have it’s edges finished with bias-tape and the final step is hemming.  Wow, when I write it down like that it is not much at all.Photo0364_modified

Maybe I’ll have it ready before the weekend 🙂

I can’t wait!!!

In Progress: Parka and mittens

Photo0343_modifiedLike I talked about last week, I really wanted to make that Ottobre Parka.  Well I bought the lining fabric and notions online last week but since the shell fabric that I wanted was out of stock I decided to by it in my local fabric shop.

This was Thursday last week.  Since then I washed to shell fabric, ironed it, cut out all the pattern pieces, tailor tacked everything excessively and then sewed everything that I possibly could.

I am still waiting for my package from the online store so I can continue.

But I have sewn the vent pockets on the front pieces and am quite happy with them.  I managed to sew on of them closed when top stitching.

Still, one turned out better than the other…

Photo0347_modified

Photo0344_modified

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now I just have to be patient…

I am also working on some mittens for my sons, using leftover yarn.  This is a part of a leftover yarn challenge I am taking part in, but I have until the end of October to finish, so there is no hurry…

Photo0346_modified