Autumn Mittens

So its that time of year again: time for mitten knitting for the little ones.

Exif_JPEG_PICTUREI decided to make mittens for the yarn stash challenge this month.  My mom gave me this sock yarn a few years ago. It was leftover after she knitted my son a sweater and cleverly she let me have the rest of the yarn.Exif_JPEG_PICTURE

Since then I have used bits of it, always trying to finish it up and not had success.  There really is a lot on each skein.  I still have some left so I guess I can knit some more mittens next fall.

Exif_JPEG_PICTURE

My older son got two pairs and the younger one got one.  I improvised the pattern.  I have knitted enough of mittens through the years to kind of know how it goes.  At least these fit and will probably be used.

Exif_JPEG_PICTURE

My older son is really happy with his finger mittens, makes him feel like a grown up.

Advertisements

In Progress: Parka and mittens

Photo0343_modifiedLike I talked about last week, I really wanted to make that Ottobre Parka.  Well I bought the lining fabric and notions online last week but since the shell fabric that I wanted was out of stock I decided to by it in my local fabric shop.

This was Thursday last week.  Since then I washed to shell fabric, ironed it, cut out all the pattern pieces, tailor tacked everything excessively and then sewed everything that I possibly could.

I am still waiting for my package from the online store so I can continue.

But I have sewn the vent pockets on the front pieces and am quite happy with them.  I managed to sew on of them closed when top stitching.

Still, one turned out better than the other…

Photo0347_modified

Photo0344_modified

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now I just have to be patient…

I am also working on some mittens for my sons, using leftover yarn.  This is a part of a leftover yarn challenge I am taking part in, but I have until the end of October to finish, so there is no hurry…

Photo0346_modified

More PomPom love

So I just finished some more projects from Pom Pom quarterly.  I made the Ammolite Cowl from the latest issue and the Skipworth mittens from the first issue.

I started making the cowl as a part of a year long stash yarn challenge.  The idea of this challenge is to knit something every month using only yarn you have in your stash.  I had two balls of this blue Navia Trio yarn and had been looking for a good use for them.  Then I saw this cowl and decided to give it a go.  I am really happy with the result.  The cables are beautiful and the texture of the whole thing is wow!

Image

However, when the cowl was finished I still had almost a full skein left.  I was not very happy with that because the point was to finish the stash yarn.  So I searched for something I could make with the leftovers and found these mittens, also from pompom.  They are very easy and fast to make.  The only problem I have with this pattern is that it has garter stitch knitted in the round.  This means that you have to purl every other round, and since I don’t like purling to much I will probably use only stockinette stitch next time i make them.

Image

The mittens and the cowl go well together since both have a garter stitch theme going on.  I am planing on giving them to a friend who has a big birthday coming up and I hope she likes them as much as I do.

Image